Monday, May 9, 2016

Who Am I?

It recently occurred to me that I've had this blog for years now, and my loyal readers don't really know anything about me.  Yes, the very first article I wrote was about my quilting history, complete with pictures showing how my quilts evolved.  But still, all you really know is that I'm a person who likes to make stuff.

Living in this internet world, where one must be incredibly careful about giving out too much personal information makes it difficult to share.  But I think I can give you a bit of insight without giving identity thieves too much to work with.

I'm the eldest of five children.  I grew up in a middle-class family which was very much into appearances and keeping up with the Joneses, as the saying goes.  The minute I graduated high school, I bolted to look for those precious intangibles.  I was very much then - and still am - a hippie.

I protested the Viet Nam War with vigor.  I also burned bras and marched for the rights of people - it was irrelevant to me if it had to do with gender or race.  I'm a firm believer that people should be treated equally and fairly.

I love the outdoors and have nearly 500 miles of high country wilderness on my hiking boots.  Yes, I've walked much of the John Muir Trail.  In fact, my husband and I back-packed into a wilderness for 16 days for our honeymoon!  We would have been married at that trailhead, but we couldn't find someone to preform the ceremony.

I've raised four children, spaced over two decades.  They've all grown and gone their own way and are dispersed all over the country.  Our goal was to produce self-sufficient adults, capable of living their own lives. Happily, we succeeded!

I have 7 granchildren, none of whom are anywhere geographically near me.  But I get lots of pictures and phone calls.

I worked for nearly half a century in technology - I was on the "user" side of things and evolved with it.  I finally decided it was time for me to make my time my own and do what I want instead of being a slave to a paycheck.

I'm a happy person, with no time to hate - time is far too precious to waste on hating.  These days, whatever seems right at the moment is.


No comments:

Post a Comment