Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Handmade Art Quilt

Hand-quilted and -embroidered wall hanging,  Mother Goose
I make quilts.  My quilts are different because usually, they are a picture.  They function just like any other quilt - they keep you warm and cozy - they just look different.  So I thought you might be interested in knowing how one of these quilts come about.

It all starts when an idea forms in my head.  Sometimes I am inspired by a beautiful landscape or a fabulous piece of fabric.  Sometimes, something just occurs to me, which is the case with the quilt I am working on now.  

Drawing for the current quilt
To get the idea out of my head, it first becomes a pencil sketch.  I am the first one to admit I really can't draw very well at all.  But I have learned that if I can sort of draw it, I can quilt it.  My sketches are just a guideline for me while I work; when fabric comes into play, I sometimes realize that changing the layout a bit will make the quilt better.




I make a colossal mess bringing my sketch into existence!  I don't work from a pattern, so it's cut - place - pin until I am happy.  The faces of my quilts are many little pieces of fabric sewn together to make one big piece of fabric.  To accomplish this, and since I'm not at all into straight edges, my sewing machine and I appliqué everything together, usually edging curves and sometimes even sewing in circles.

Here is a great example of sewing in circles.  The white around the frog's eyes is circular zigzag stitch.  The frog's body, the weeds, the lily pad and even the shoreline are all curved a little or a lot.  


But I feel it's worth it in the end.  This baby quilt is full crib size to stay with its owner all the way through a toddler bed.  I took me six full days to cut out all of the pieces and get them appliquéd together.  Since I quilt by hand (seriously - needle and thread by hand!), it will take me probably a couple of weeks to finish it.  But when it's done, there won't be another quilt like it anywhere.  It will be as unique as the child who grows up with it!


4 comments:

  1. I love this story, and your "special kind of crazy". lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. You're exactly the RIGHT kind of "crazy," and so incredibly talented.

    ReplyDelete