Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Quilting a Waterfall

Serenity in progress
I think it's safe to say that I have wanted to quilt a waterfall for years.  I've actually attempted it on three previous occasions, only to change the quilt design, eliminating the waterfall.  It finally occurred to me that the only way this might be remotely possible would be to embroider the waterfall.

Serenity waterfall


I cut all of the bushes and assembled the face first.  Then, in the evening for the next two weeks, I embroidered the cascading water using single strand cotton embroidery floss in white, pale yellow, gray, silver and the palest of blue.  Yes, my husband reminded me that I am a special kind of crazy.

Serenity finished and hung


Once I was happy with all of the embroidery, I hand-quilted the piece using several different colors of hand-quilting thread. After all...  I didn't want the quilting itself to show - just the affect of it. For a piece measuring 14 x 20 inches, it took way too much time.  But I feel it was time well spent - I'm happy with this one, which is good!

Serenity is listed for sale in my shop on HandmadeArtists.com.  I would love to know what you think!






No comments:

Post a Comment