Thursday, September 17, 2015

Throwback Thursdays - September 17, 2015

I missed last Thursday - sorry about that.  I was running about like mad packing and organizing to get us out of the house and on our way to the show we did last weekend.  So I will make up for it today!

  
Lottie and Tillie were the older sisters of my paternal great-grandfather.  This is the oldest of all the photos - taken before the Civil War.  Lottie was the older of the two (standing).  This photo is actually a tin-type, which is very cool.


Lottie and Tillie both had formal portraits done - I wish I knew the years.  This one is Lottie.  It's matted in a black cardstock-type material that has a cloth-like feel to it.  It's also embossed all around the edge photo.
The photo-grapher's name is also em-
bossed at the lower right-hand corner of the mat - it reads Marwick Bros. 204 Woodward Ave. Detroit.



Here is Tillie's portrait.  It's not as fancy as Lottie's and my guess is it was taken  a bit later.  This photographer was Taylor - 41 & 43 Monroe Ave., Detroit, Michigan (printed below the photo).  The photo is applied to the background piece.  Not nearly as fancy as Lottie's.





And here are two little girls you haven't seen before...  The smaller of the two is my paternal great-grandmother, Mary.  Sadly, I don't know her sister's name.  This photo was taken in the mid 1880s.  At the bottom of the photo (not shown), it reads Hamilton, 79 Canal St., Grand Rapids.

See you next Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment