Sunday, June 29, 2014

More Rewarding Than Sales...

Artsy people are an interesting bunch.  They don't evaluate like 'normal' people, and I suppose it's a left brain/right brain thing.  But that people are different is what makes life so interesting.

I'm in that artsy group, and did a show this weekend.  I spent 36 hours in the park just in Thursday/Friday/Saturday.  The 'normal' people would be settling their books, recording expenses and sales, figuring profit margins and such.  Of course, I do that too.  But the 'normal' people would be would be calculating the success of the event in dollars and cents and then they would be done.  Again, I do that, too, and this particular show was forgettable in that regard, but at this point I am not done.  Since I fall into that artsy group, I must tell you that this was one of the most wonderful shows I have ever done...  ever!

If you are familiar with my work, you know I make a lot of things where my target market (so to speak) would be children...  not because I want their money, but because a child with my bear will be able to pass it down to their child years and years from now after they've loved it to death all through their growing up years.  

I am just completely delighted when a tiny customer shows an interest in the care that went into the finished product; they don't look at it as another "thing" that they just want for no reason other than to have more things.  They look at it as a special creation.

Just such a special little person visited with me during this show.  He was an adorable young man who stood a bit less than waist-high to me. He had deep brown hair and wore a hat that seemed Bavarian to me; so grown up in such a small package.  He was just fascinated with my dolls.  I suppose it could be considered evil of me to display these types of things at eye level for children.  He spent quite a bit of time in my booth, and left with my card in his hand, after I explained that the card would tell him how to get in touch with me in the future if he ever needed to do so.

A bit later, this youngster's father came back to my booth, and handed me my card.  I looked at him quizzically, and then he turned the card over in my hand.  "Caleb drew you this picture," he explained; "he wanted you to have it. I'm going to take another of your cards if you don't mind," he grinned.  He picked up a card and walked away.  I am really glad that he did, too, because I needed a moment, since I was all teary-eyed and emotional.

I didn't see Caleb or his parents again through the rest of the show.  But Caleb's very special drawing is pinned right in the center of my bulletin board and will always stay in that special spot...  not just on my bulletin board, but in my heart.  Thanks so very much, Caleb, for reminding that what I do is important.  I will never forget you. 

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! I love it when things like that happen! Thanks for sharing it with us Sandi. Your dolls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet.....that makes it all worth while. perhaps some day he will become a handmade artist himself. :0)
    Debbi
    -YankeeBurrow

    ReplyDelete