Friday, March 22, 2013

HELPING THE HELP DESK
I have had the privilege lately to periodically man the help desk on HandmadeArtists.com.  I've had a great time doing this.  But what I've learned in the process is so interesting.  What I've learned from being on the other side is that we can inadvertently be the cause of our own frustration.

All of us, at one time or another, have needed to call, text or email technical support.  Many of us, me included, have become frustrated in this process.  Personally, I get so impatient with the support person when I feel that my intelligence is being insulted.  "Quit asking me these rudimentary questions," I think.  "I'm not a moron with no computer skills," I grumble.  Just tell me how to fix this!

Now on the other side of the screen...  I have no way of knowing what your computer skills are, or what transpired to get you to the place you are now.  I find myself asking a lot of questions to get to the bottom of the issue before I can effectively resolve it.  There's information I need before I can really be helpful.

So I've learned that when I need help in the future, my initial contact will include lots of information instead of just the current question.  I'll be sure to give the details of what led up to the point where I got stuck.  That way, the person on the other end, who is not a mind reader, will be in a much better position to help me and get me on my way.

2 comments:

  1. good point. I love the help desk for my norton, they just take over and I sit back and watch the little mouse move around while the fix what I broke. lol
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess being on the "other end" of things gives you a whole new perspective. I don't think I am cut out for that stuff. I get impatient too quickly sometimes.

    ReplyDelete