Monday, July 25, 2011

ANATOMY OF A QUILT
Part 4 - Appliqué and the Beginning of the Details
 
 
I have all the sand and shoreline appliquéd down, so now it's time to add the mountain.  All the edges get glued in place.  I cut out one continuous piece of bonding agent to do this.  Then once the appliqué is done, I trimmed the excess off so that's it's the same width as the rest of the quilt.

When I appliquéd it, I tapered it into the ocean...  I like the way the sun is just a bit behind the beach and the mountain is running down into the sea.

Now that all the background elements are in place, it's time to add the foreground details.  I want to start with the grass shack on the beach.  In the drawing, it's not obscured by any palm trees, and I like that.  So I need to know where it is before I start adding trees.

First, I drew a rough picture of the shack to get the size right; actually I drew several!  Once I was happy, I cut the fabric to build the shack.  I trimmed it and refined it several times - notice all the cut away pieces!  The fabric is very directional, as are the sides and roof of the shack.  The finished building is actually several pieces of the same material. 
Then I appliquéd it in place.  I did the door first with brown thread since I wanted the bottom of the door caught in the green of the shack.  I used a narrower stitch to bring up the details of the building (the corner).  I used a variable width zig-zag stitch to make the thatched effect on the edge of the roof.


It looks pretty nice now, but it will be even better with the palm trees in!  The original drawing has a whole bunch of trees going clear into the distance.  I need some thought time to decide exactly how I'm going to accomplish this!  The next installment will be trees!

3 comments:

  1. I am loving this process! It's amazing to see just how much intricate work goes into making a quilt! Just making sure that the details are smoothly put together and not just slapped on. I can definitely see why my mom's very first quilt was never allowed to be put on my bed :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving reading this! I knew there was a ton of work in a quilt but never sat down to think of all the parts of the process. It is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete