Saturday, August 21, 2010

NOT THE TYPICAL WAY TO FIND NEW WORK!
     Driving home from the grocery store this afternoon, I passed a garage sale, too quickly to stop when I realized that there was a pile of bags of fiberfill leaned against a wall at the side of the sale.  I casually drove around the block and parked in the shade in front of the house.
     Six of the bags were high end, ultra-soft fiberfill - one of the bags was a high-loft queen size quilt batting.  I asked the two ladies attending the sale if I could have a volume discount, and was told for $10, I could have it all.  Cool!  The second lady asked if I was a quilter....  yes....  "Do you quilt by machine?" she asked...  No, all my quilts are hand-quilted.  At this point I gave both ladies one of my business cards, and explained that my shop has handmade rag dolls and teddy bears (thus my interest in the fiberfill), as well as quilts.
     At that point, the second lady started to grill me on quilting.  It was kind of odd, I thought, but what the heck!  It was a shady spot, and I love talking quilting.  After about five minutes, the ulterior motive surfaced, and I have a new job!  This lady has an heirloom quilt which needs to be repaired!  It's not torn (thank goodness!), but there are places on it the need to be re hand-appliqued and some of the quilting is gone.  "I have no idea how much time this will take or what this will cost you," I said.  Her response...  "I don't care!" 
     So I have a new project, which I am really looking forward to, and we agreed on a price with which I am thrilled!
     The next time you're out and about, be sure to stop at garage sales ... There may be a sale in it for you!


3 comments:

  1. How wonderful! You get to work on this womans family heirloom. That is quite a privilage and I know you'll make her a very happy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks you were in the right place a the right time. How awesome when that happens! Just goes to show you never know where a potential sale can come from.

    ReplyDelete