Friday, May 28, 2010


 
FROM HERE TO THERE
How a Handmade Teddy Bear Goes Together
**or**

What Some People Will Do To Prove That They Are Completely Out of Their Minds!



A remark was made in one of the topics on HandmadeArtistsForums that, "I have no idea how you would even begin to do this."  Great idea for a post!  So here we go....



First you cut out all of the parts, then you sew all of the parts together.


Then you attach the legs to the body.  My bears' arms and legs move.  I use the "string-and-button" method.  Once the legs are attached, they and the body get stuffed so that I can make sure that the bear sits straight.



Then you attach the arms.  It's easier to see the string in this picture.  Once securely attached, the arms, like the legs, get stuffed to make sure they're in the right place.





Then you place the eyes.  This sounds simple enough, but considering I do this by sight, sometimes it takes me a while!  Once the eyes are attached, the head gets stuffed and sewn onto the body.


 Next, you sew the backs of both arms and legs closed.  Then the bear gets a nose and a smile.



That's all there is to it!  My husband maintains that I am nuts...  Why?  The only part of this project that's '21st century' is step two...  sew all the pieces together, which I do on my sewing machine.  Everything else is truly "handmade!"  If you would like to own this bear (now that you know so much about it!), you can find him here.


2 comments:

  1. Nuts but wonderful! I love bears and it is so wonderful to know that you, along with so few others, love to put love into them.

    ReplyDelete