Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Quilt History

I learned to quilt from a book long ago.  My grandmother, Mimi Charlotte, taught me how to knit and sew, but she wasn't a quilter.  Her mother TRIED in vain to teach me to tat...  that just wasn't something that was ever going to happen.  Here is a pictorial history (or evolution) of my quilts.


I made this quilt for my Mom about a year and a half before she died.  She was in a wheelchair and her legs and feet were always cold.  This was my very first original design, but still in the classical 'squares' pattern.  It was also one of the first quilts I appliqued, and was a great learning experience!

I made this quilt for my grandson, Ben.  It consisted of primary color logs and pictures of bears I cut out of darling fabric.  I was starting to get away from the quilt blocks that I had always done.

  






I saw a picture in a magazine of a vintage quilt with kitties in baskets diagonally on an irregular square field.  This was my first attempt at drawing something.  What I think is so funny now...  I appliqued each of the blue blocks on the yellow background!  How silly is that!?!  It would have been SOOOO much easier to make strips of squares and simply sew them together.  Live and learn!








The kitties led to my first attempt at a house.  I really enjoyed this quilt and it has evolved with me over time.  Note that the horizon is flat, formed by the seam between the 'ground' and the 'sky.'  There was certainly more detail in the border than in the picture!










These two quilts were done back-to-back in less than three months!  Yes, I went back to squares, but the bunnies were my first attempt at quilting with fleece.  The frogs were just cool!





 Working with the fleece intrigued me, especially since my 'consumers' were babies and toddlers.  Then a friend of mine had a daughter and her room theme was farm animals.  And voila....



The flowers were all individually appliqued with purple machine embroidery thread.  The lamb itself was a cream-colored fleece with appliqued facial features and felt feet.  This was the first quilt that I was invited to display in a quilt exhibit!

 





One of my son's remarked that it was too bad that I couldn't make him a quilt of him fishing.  Just that simple statement was almost a dare.  I worked on this quilt for a bit more than four months.  It's one of the larger quilts I've done, and still one of which I am very fond.  It won First Place in my County Fair!





The 'brown trout' were both made from four different materials.  This was the first quilt with hand embroidery as a feature rather than an accent...  note the 'fishing lure' about to be devoured by the large fish in the center.  This was also the first quilt which I signed.  All of my quilts have been signed since this one.


 

I love the clown and his balloons!  I've only done this one one time, but there's an excellent chance I will do another clown someday.  I really struggled with his facial features, which is why I haven't done another one.

 











This quilt was a Christmas present for my granddaughter and was on her bed for several years.  I am fond of the smiling sunshine and have used it many times!






 



I gave this quilt to a friend of mine at a baby shower a couple of months ago.  She has a Yorkie she just loves so much!  My husband told me I was going through a flashback-to-the-sixties period with the wildly colored flowers!

 




 



This was the second time I did the little house.  The border was still more detailed than the picture, but at least the horizon isn't flat any more!







 







The third time I did the house, the border toned down and the terrain got far more involved.





 
 






The house was more squatty in this attempt and the roof was less flipped at the eaves.  This was the first time I attempted a tree!  Once I had a tree, I needed a swing in it!  This was a baby gift for a lady I work with.



 
 





I finally think I've gotten it right!  The house has gotten smaller and the details have grown.  Not only does it have two trees complete with a swing, it has stairs in the path.  You have no idea how long I worked on the silly stairs...  I think it was worth it!  This quilt is currently for sale in my Etsy shop







Thanks for strolling down memory lane with me!

5 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I love strolling down your Memory Lane of quilts! You are an artist and I'm glad you got the comments feature up. It's fun to interact with artists like you.
    Good luck with your blog!
    Claire from HeartSpace on Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so neat watching your quilting abilities evolve. It's not often that someone gets the opportunity to watch an artist "grow" right before your eyes. What wonderful creations I envy your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love personal quilting, and yours are charming an original...I quilt myself, but don't piece, stop by and see me sometime
    lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess what! I am following you too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete